Dear faculty and staff,
Before the semester is over I want to report on the UAA Faculty and Staff Insight Survey administered by ModernThink to all faculty and staff in November. A total of 1,292 people completed the survey, which is a terrific 47 percent response rate.
ModernThink provided this breakdown of key themes, strengths, and opportunities:
- All things considered, on the continuum of workplace quality, today UAA is a "good to very good" place to work for the vast majority of faculty and staff.
- While there is a sense of community within many colleges/departments, the strength of the camaraderie varies. Similarly, it does not consistently translate to strong cross-functional collaboration or a sense of alignment across the University.
- Faculty and staff reported having good relationships with their supervisors, but noted a need for greater consistency and enhanced managerial and leadership skills, specifically those regarding performance management and accountability.
- Faculty and staff expressed a need for improved communications. There is also a desire for more transparency regarding the rationale with which decisions are made as well as an interest in greater participation in those decisions that directly impact their work.
- There are varying degrees of confidence in the capabilities and credibility of senior leadership as a whole.
- Job Satisfaction & Connection to Mission
- Supervisor/Department Chair
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Community & Sustainability
- Compensation, Benefits & Work/Life Balance
- Resources & Facilities
- Professional Development
- Communication & Collaboration
- Shared Governance
- Confidence in Senior leadership
- Respect & Appreciation
Results of the survey, as well as an overview of the survey methodology and response rates are at http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/accreditation/insightsurvey.cfm. More information and updates will be posted.
As you can see from the results, we are doing many good things at UAA but need to improve in some areas as well. First and foremost, I believe, is the need to increase communication between senior leadership, our staff, faculty and governance groups throughout UAA's campuses. This survey was a great first step with lots of participation and great feedback. Let's keep the dialogue going. I will be working with my staff to set up multiple opportunities for us to exchange information and discuss concerns. I look forward to these discussions.
Open and ongoing dialogue is key to our success.