Thursday, Sept. 29, 4-8 p.m.
Anchorage Cooperative Extension Service (1675 C Street, Suite 100)
The University of Alaska Fairbanks Cooperative Extension Service will host four presentations about emergency energy preparedness Sept. 29 in Anchorage.
Extension energy specialist Art Nash and home, health and family development agent Leslie Shallcross will offer the 45-minute presentation, “Are you Ready? Emergency Energy,” at 4 p.m., 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the Anchorage Extension office, 1675 C St., Suite 100.
What if you have to leave your house in the next five minutes because of an earthquake, volcanic eruption, flood or approaching wildfire? Do you have these crucial items?
- A one-week emergency kit, ready to go with adequate first aid, clothing, water and food provisions for everyone in the family.
- Fuel and implements to provide heat for cooking, staying warm and disinfecting water.
This 45-minute workshop may save you hours of heartache if you are faced with an emergency.
- Learn about compact, efficient cooking and heating options powered by different types of fuel, including propane, white gas and wood.
- Learn about rocket stoves, which are easy to make, extremely efficient and fueled by local wood.
- Find out what foods to eat when the power is out and you have a refrigerator or freezer that’s defrosting.
For more information, call Art Nash, extension energy specialist, at (907) 474-6366 or (877) 520-5211 or visit www.uaf.edu/ces.
Presentations are open to the public: 4-4:45 p.m., 5-5:45 p.m., 6-6:45 p.m. and 7-7:45 p.m.