The holiday seasons are upon us and folks often like to decorate around their office spaces. Here are some reminders:
- Live trees, wreaths and garland are highly flammable and pose a high risk of fire and are not permitted on campus. Artificial decorations are safer, but should not be placed too close to a heat source.
- Outdoor grade lights are not to be used indoors. If lights are used, non-filament lights (LEDs) are strongly recommended. They are cooler (temperature-wise) and use less electricity. All lights must be UL approved.
- The use (or misuse, as the case may be) of extension cords is always an issue at UAA. They must not be plugged into a power-strip, or vice versa. Do not place cords under carpets or rugs, through partitions, across walking paths or above ceiling panels.
- Do not attach decorations to fire sprinklers, pulls or extinguishers. Also, do not block ready view and use of such.
- Artificial snow spray is prohibited; it can activate fire alarms and be a respiratory irritant.
- No open flames allowed.
Although not just a seasonal issue, aside from official postings (automatic doors, no smoking, no firearms, etc.), postings (in this case, decorations) are not permitted on windowed doors.
EHSRMSEM would like to wish all of you a healthy, happy and loving holiday season. Please be safe so you can return to work rested and re-energized.